The Path of Light

The Path of Light Theosophy of the Masters.

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Pledge

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: The Pledge   Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:38 pm

when i was sent this by Samuel M Range, the joy that i felt could not be contained. when i was asked to be a fellow by Alan Donant, i cried, and i keep that card in my keepsake box. it took seven years as a chela, but the hard work, and the working out of karma, and the lessons learned were worth it.

The Meaning of a Pledge

It has been thought advisable that members of a certain Occult lodge of the T.S. should have the meaning of the Pledge they are about to take laid before them as plainly as possible. At any rate, that those who have previously signed the Pledge shall lay before those who are about to do so all that they understand this Pledge to mean and what its signature involves.
The Pledge runs as follows:

"1. I pledge myself to endeavor to make Theosophy a living factor in my life.

"2. I pledge myself to support, before the world, the Theosophical movement, its leaders and its members.

"3. I pledge myself never to listen without protest to any evil thing spoken of a brother Theosophist and to abstain from condemning others.

"4. I pledge myself to maintain a constant struggle against my lower nature, and to be charitable to the weaknesses of others.

"5. I pledge myself to do all in my power, by study or otherwise, to fit myself to help and teach others.

"6. I pledge myself to give what support I can to the movement in time, money, and work.

"So Help me, My Higher Self."

It is at once plain that this is not a general Pledge like that which is taken so lightly by members of the Theosophical Society; but that it is a specific undertaking to do and to endeavor to do certain things. Also that it is given under an invocation: -

"So help me, my Higher Self."

Last edited by Bella on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://darkcastle.forumotion.net/forum
Skull

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:20 pm

After HP Blavatsky left India, never to return, she settled in London in May of 1887. Her students wanted to start another TS Lodge there. They called it the Blavatsky Lodge. This lodge required members to take a Pledge. Eventually this Pledge became the first version of the Probationers Pledge of the Esoteric Section.

Archibald Keightley wrote the article on the meaning of the Pledge. See Blavatsky Collected Writings, vol. 12, p. 506 ff. for the entire article.
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:52 am

yes i still have mine, signed and dated, and so does my husband.

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:55 am

That is quite a pledge.It's also very different from anyone I have ever seen before.You should make this thread a sticky so all will be able to see what they are pledging and/or be reminded of what they have pledged.
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:39 am

QueenBeeBeeMarie wrote:
That is quite a pledge.It's also very different from anyone I have ever seen before.You should make this thread a sticky so all will be able to see what they are pledging and/or be reminded of what they have pledged.

thank you. that is a good idea. you can print up this pledge if you like and keep it by you, to guide you. what is interesting to me, is the TS never asks for money and they will not take anything left to them in a will. they have the belief all will work out as it should be.

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:14 am

That is interesting and even more interesting is that it seems to be working very well for them.
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:06 am

QueenBeeBeeMarie wrote:
That is interesting and even more interesting is that it seems to be working very well for them.

yes it is.

Skull

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:31 pm

This Pledge has been available to the public for a long time. Since it is a pledge, not to a guru or an organization or group, but to one's Higher Self, it cannot be taken casually.

The background information in CW 12 should be pondered on before committing ones lower self to the path, which will take much discipline, effort and many lifetimes.

http://www.katinkahesselink.net/blavatsky/articles/v12/y1890_052.htm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:47 pm

My partner has this. I am just a beginner, buy I know the people from the TS don't give this out to just anyone. How lucky you are Bella. It is nice that you offer this here, I bet Queen Bee Marie is worthy of this. I am definitely not ready yet.
Back to top Go down
Skull

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:19 pm

More teachings about & from HPB's ES: http://esotericinstructions.net/

So far as I know, the TS Pasadena has not had an Esoteric Section since 1950 or thereabouts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Lily wrote:
My partner has this. I am just a beginner, buy I know the people from the TS don't give this out to just anyone. How lucky you are Bella. It is nice that you offer this here, I bet Queen Bee Marie is worthy of this. I am definitely not ready yet.
Oh,well thank you for that Lily but,I know you are very worthy of this pledge.You can take the pledge anytime you want and I know you will do wonderful on your very own path.
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:15 pm

Skull wrote:

So far as I know, the TS Pasadena has not had an Esoteric Section since 1950 or thereabouts.

Only in private and to special students or chelas that have given their all for seven years. I received my pledge in 1994, so as you can see they indeed have an esoteric section. they still do, and i am carrying on their works.

Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:18 pm

QueenBeeBeeMarie wrote:
Lily wrote:
Oh,well thank you for that Lily but,I know you are very worthy of this pledge.You can take the pledge anytime you want and I know you will do wonderful on your very own path.

i informed my mentor and teacher from Point Loma and the Pasadena chapter that i am teaching the courses i learned from her and others. as you know QBM, i gave thanks to all who taught me, as it is what is proper, and if one does not, the psychic powers and abilities, one has learned in the halls of learning and the divine astral will be taken away. i still converse and to this day still study with the teachers in the physical and the astral, and go to the Lodge, and have study groups.

Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:23 pm

Skull wrote:

the esoteric section is still around, believe me.

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:53 pm

Bella wrote:
QueenBeeBeeMarie wrote:
Lily wrote:

i informed my mentor and teacher from Point Loma and the Pasadena chapter that i am teaching the courses i learned from her and others. as you know QBM, i gave thanks to all who taught me, as it is what is proper, and if one does not, the psychic powers and abilities, one has learned in the halls of learning and the divine astral will be taken away. i still converse and to this day still study with the teachers in the physical and the astral, and go to the Lodge, and have study groups.

Of course and you had some amazing teachers.They taught you very well and I am pleased and thankful that they are allowing you to teach us.You are a wonderful teacher as well.
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:28 am

Thank you, this has been my goal and dream to be able to help, and teach the beauty, and doctrines of Theosophy, not only from my experience, but from an esoteric and occult background. When Frater S A and I decided to create many forums, he knew my goal was to have a Theosophy forum, where not only would we have discussions, and exoteric teachings but hidden teachings that only a serious student will be privy to. He, and I and frater O M have been through the woods together and they helped me realize my vision. it will take a while, but i think we have something special here.

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:36 am

All of the forums are each unique and special in their own way.
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:46 am

We try to make sure they are unique and interesting. Frater O M, Frater S A and I have a diverse background in various practices, and i guess we were on the same jouney but different paths, and we finally met up and there you go. between all three of us we have over 100 years of esoteric and occult knowledge. now i feel old. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:50 am

That's quite a lot of knowledge and wisdom to go on.A lot for us to take in and absorb as well.
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:02 am

QueenBeeBeeMarie wrote:
That's quite a lot of knowledge and wisdom to go on.A lot for us to take in and absorb as well.

yes and sometimes me tool Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:59 pm

Now how do we support before the world the Theosophical movement if we cannot talk about it to anyone?
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:08 am

QueenBeeBeeMarie wrote:
Now how do we support before the world the Theosophical movement if we cannot talk about it to anyone?

you can speak of it, we do not push it on anyone. if anyone asks you what a theosophist it tell them we are here to make the world better by universal brotherhood, we come from all walks of life and we combine religion philosophy and science to delve into the truth and the true laws of nature. theosophy does not go looking for us , we go looking for theosophy. we get to a point in our life where nothing makes sense anymore, we can not deal with the dogma of religion, we want to know the secrets of the universe to hear the grass speak, the flowers sing, and when we get to that point, theosophy seems to appears out of the blue, we find someone or a see a book, on line or by accident (although it is not) and we are wanting to learn more. the masters and the teachers know when you are ready, they let someone like me know.

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:11 am

Oh,that sounds so beautiful,Mrs.Bella..
To hear the grass and the flowers sing would be so magical..
Back to top Go down
ichuumizu

PostSubject: question...   Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:59 am

I know I'm new so please forgive me if this is a silly question!
What do you mean by "pledge to maintain a constant struggle against my lower self"? I know everyone has a different meaning so I just want to understand.

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:17 am

The lower self is what we call the animal soul, it means the part of you that constantly struggles with the higher self. The higher self is the God spark within us which constantly strives to do better and ascend to a higher point, the lower is like the little devil on the shoulder that always tries to get one in trouble. We need to curb the little devil and work towards the ability to listen to the higher.

Last edited by Emma on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Pledge   

Back to top Go down

The Pledge
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next