The Path of Light

The Path of Light Theosophy of the Masters.

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

William Quan Judge

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Skull

PostSubject: William Quan Judge   Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:21 am

After Blavatsky, Judge was the best exponent of original Theosophy. Here is an article of his on Clairvoyance:

SHALL WE TEACH CLAIRVOYANCE?
A NOTE OF WARNING

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that clairvoyance is a power sought after by many persons cannot be disputed, but the questions, Is it well to try to develop clairvoyance? and Shall we teach it? have not yet been definitely decided. Hence I may be permitted to give my views upon them.

At the outset I desire to declare my personal attitude on these questions and my beliefs as to facts. In using the term "clairvoyance" I intend to include in it all clear perception on that plane.

I. I have for many years been convinced by proofs furnished by others and from personal experience that clairvoyance is a power belonging to man's s inner nature; and also that it is possessed by the animal kingdom.

2. This faculty is either inherited or educed by practice.

3. Those who have it by birth are generally physically diseased or nervously deranged. The cases where clairvoyance is shown by a perfectly healthy and well-balanced person are rare.

4. The records of spiritualism for over forty years in America conclusively prove that clairvoyance cannot be safely sought after by persons who have no competent guide; that its pursuit has done harm; and that almost every medium to whom one puts the question "Am I able to develop clairvoyance?" will reply "Yes."

5. There are no competent guides in this pursuit to be found here or in Europe who are willing to teach one how to acquire it without danger.

6. The qualifications such a guide should possess render the finding of one difficult if not impossible. They are: the power to look within and see clearly the whole inner nature of the student; a complete knowledge of all the planes upon which clairvoyance acts, including knowledge of the source, the meaning, and the effect of all that is perceived by the clairvoyant; and last, but not least, the power to stop at will the exercise of the power. Evidently these requirements call for an adept.

Who are the teachers of clairvoyance, and those who advise that it be practiced? In the main, the first are mediums, and any investigator knows how little they know. Every one of them differs from every other in his powers. The majority have only one sort of clairvoyance; here and there are some who combine, at most, three classes of the faculty. Not a single one is able to mentally see behind the image or idea perceived, and cannot say in a given case whether the image seen is the object itself or the result of a thought from another mind. For in these planes of perception the thoughts of men become as objective as material objects are to our human eyes. It is true that a clairvoyant can tell you that what is being thus perceived is not apprehended by the physical eye, but beyond that he cannot go. Of this I have had hundreds of examples. In 99 out of 100 instances the seer mistook the thought from another mind for a clairvoyant perception of a living person or physical object.

The seers of whom I speak see always according to their inner tendency, which is governed by subtle laws of heredity which are wholly unknown to scientific men and much more to mediums and seers. One will only reach the symbolic plane; another that which is known to occultists as the positive side of sound; another to the negative or positive aspects of the epidermis and its emanations; and so on through innumerable layer after layer of clairvoyance and octave after octave of vibrations. They all know but the little they have experienced, and for any other person to seek to develop the power is dangerous. The philosophy of it all, the laws that cause the image to appear and disappear, are terra incognita.

The occult septenary scheme in nature with all its modifications produces multiple effects, and no mere clairvoyant is able to see the truth that underlies the simplest instance of clairvoyant perception. If a man moves from one chair to another, immediately hundreds of possibilities arise for the clairvoyant eye, and he alone who is a highly trained and philosophical seer - an Adept, in short - can combine them all so as to arrive at true clear-perception. In the simple act described almost all the centres of force in the moving being go into operation, and each one produces its own peculiar effect in the astral light. At once the motion made and thoughts aroused elicit their own sound, color, motion in ether, amount of etheric light, symbolic picture, disturbance of elemental forces, and so on through the great catalogue. Did but one wink his eye, the same effects follow in due order. And the seer can perceive but that which attunes itself to his own development and personal peculiarities, all limited in force and degree.

What, may I ask, do clairvoyants know of the law of prevention or encrustation which is acting always with many people? Nothing, absolutely nothing. How do they explain those cases where, try as they will, they cannot see anything whatever regarding certain things? Judging from human nature and the sordidness of many schools of clairvoyance, are we not safe in affirming that if there were any real or reliable clairvoyance about us now-a-days among those who offer to teach it or take pay for it, long ago fortunes would have been made by them, banks despoiled, lost articles found, and friends more often reunited? Admitting that there have been sporadic instances of success on these lines, does not the exception prove that true clairvoyance is not understood or likely to be?

But what shall theosophists do? Stop all attempts at clairvoyance. And why? Because it leads them slowly but surely - almost beyond recall into an interior and exterior passive state where the will is gradually overpowered and they are at last in the power of the demons who lurk around the threshold of our consciousness. Above all, follow no advice to "sit for development." Madness lies that way. The feathery touches which come upon the skin while trying these experiments are said by mediums to be the gentle touches of "the spirits." But they are not. They are caused by the ethereal fluids from within us making their way out through the skin and thus producing the illusion of a touch. When enough has gone out, then the victim is getting gradually negative, the future prey for spooks and will-o'-the-wisp images.

"But what," they say, "shall we pursue and study?" Study the philosophy of life, leave the decorations that line the road of spiritual development for future lives, and practice altruism.

WILLIAM Q. JUDGE
Path, December, 1890

As well as being online, many of Judge's best writings are in the series of books Echoes of the Orient: http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/ts/wqjechoes.htm

Last edited by Skull on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:27 pm

I am a clairvoyant and I am not mentally deranged.
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:49 pm

Lily wrote:

Don't worry about it. I HPB was one of the most psychic developed occultists, and never would have been contacted by the masters if she had not had such strong psychic powers. it is why one needs a teacher and a mentor to help develop these powers, very harmful to do it on your own. my mentor said that some of the information posted by Judge and even Blavatsky are a bit off as the information was misconstrued or not understood. she even said they are now entertaining the thought of a father god, and mother god, and these are teachers that were raised at point loma. as i said the books and articles are written in parables. no you are not mentally deranged, you are extremely gifted.

http://darkcastle.forumotion.net/forum
Skull

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Lily wrote:

I am not a clairvoyant and am mentally deranged. Wink
Back to top Go down
Frater O M
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:10 pm

This is not entirely true

I have been a channel for sometime, not only channeling healing energy but also a Clairvoyant.

What is really being take about her is what the effects that occurred with the late Mdme Blavatsky

When the Master's came to Mdme Blavatsky they first told her that they had chosen her for work that needed to be done and she was told of the consequence's and the toll that would be taken on the body from daily channeling of the information.

The body takes a tremendous amount of energy in two ways the the physical body and it's energy needs to be raised to a certain level and spirit has to lower their energy so the two can merge

As we read the works of Theosophy and other occultist the body transforms in certain ways both on a microcosmic level as well as a macrocosmic level , conscious level as well as a subconscious level and some of these effects are the opening of the physic abilities the opening of the third eye as well as the Chakras for certain things to happen.

Mdme Blavatsky only had the Master's themselves to look to for the needed direction and over the many years

All walks of the occult way are directed to work with teacher for the fact that they can be monitored on the physical as well as the mental state of the person
this goes for those in the order of the Golden Dawn, The Rosicrucians and the Masons

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:45 pm

Frater O M wrote:
This is not entirely true

I have been a channel for sometime, not only channeling healing energy but also a Clairvoyant.

What is really being take about her is what the effects that occurred with the late Mdme Blavatsky

When the Master's came to Mdme Blavatsky they first told her that they had chosen her for work that needed to be done and she was told of the consequence's and the toll that would be taken on the body from daily channeling of the information.

The body takes a tremendous amount of energy in two ways the the physical body and it's energy needs to be raised to a certain level and spirit has to lower their energy so the two can merge

As we read the works of Theosophy and other occultist the body transforms in certain ways both on a microcosmic level as well as a macrocosmic level , conscious level as well as a subconscious level and some of these effects are the opening of the physic abilities the opening of the third eye as well as the Chakras for certain things to happen.

Mdme Blavatsky only had the Master's themselves to look to for the needed direction and over the many years

All walks of the occult way are directed to work with teacher for the fact that they can be monitored on the physical as well as the mental state of the person
this goes for those in the order of the Golden Dawn, The Rosicrucians and the Masons

yes i am a conscious channel and you are correct. one must never try to attempt any psychic experience without a teacher, and it goes without saying when beginners want to raise the kundalini on their own, it can result in illness, and insanity. one must take each step on the path as carefully as possible but this is true for all practices of occultism.

Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:54 pm

William Quan Judge also said, and this is what i have been trying to get across. without the ability yo use those powers for good, to educate, and help they are useless, but he and all others are saying one has to develop them in order to see, and become a part of the teachings in the astral.

“The educing of the faculty of hearing occult sounds would be not at all the easy matter you imagine. It was never done to any of us, for the iron rule is that what powers one gets he must himself acquire, and when acquired and ready for use, the powers lie dumb and dormant in their potentiality like the wheels in a music box, and only then it is easy to wind the key and start them. *** Yet every earnestly-disposed man may acquire such powers practically; that is the finality of it. There are no more distinctions of persons in this than there are as to whom the sun shall shine upon or the air give vitality to. There are the powers of all nature before you; take what you can.”

This is perfectly clear and strictly according to the Secret Canon. “When the materials are all prepared and ready, the architect shall appear”; and when we have acquired the powers we seek, by educing them ourselves from our inner being, the Master will then be ready and able to start into exercise that which we have obtained

Skull

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:03 pm

It is excellent that all psychics on this board have had no major problems in this lifetime.

Judge, HPB, Purucker, Knoche & Wadia were all just giving a warning to the vast majority of people - better safe than sorry.

After all, since the keynote of any TS & Theosophy is altruism, service & compassionate activity, that can be done without any need for psychic powers.

Those lives based on compassionate, selfless helping of others and an understanding of the philosophic principals of Theosophy will produce great good karma or merit. Then the powers will unfold naturally.
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:37 am

Lily wrote:

i meant to explain to you Lily although you already know this, you can not teach clairvoyance or medium ship as it is a gift, which must be carefully nurtured, as it can indeed take a toll on the body. there is a difference between a channel and a medium as you well know. most mediums hear or see the dead or both but the dead do not inhabit the mediums body, as depicted in the movie ghost, they chirp away beside the medium. a channel whether conscious as myself and subconscious as Frater O M let's higher entities enter their body and speak through them. i am both a medium and a conscious channel. the theosophists like judge blavatsky, and purucker contradit themselves and i will tell you why. if a layman picks up a book and decides to develop powers on their own they run the risk of not knowing what they are doing, raising up energy that they can not control or harness, whether it be the Ouija board, ceremonial magick or witchcraft, the secrets are not in the books, just the surface. there are many sanitariums and hospitals filled with poor souls who attempted occult practices on their own, so balvatsky and company knew that for the layman one thing and for the chela another. this is where the teachers and mentors come in, they have the true teachings and secrets one will not glean from just reading a theosophy book, no matter how much they THINK they understand. the teacher or mentor however has papers and booklets that were not in the books and they will give them to you as you progress. they are given gradually, but they are given to ones who show the love and dedication to the teachings. you will be given papers "for the serious student only" and this is where not only will you learn to read between the lines of the books, but you will gradually and naturally develop the innate psychic powers, the third eye, the pranic energy, and the ability to hear and see all the sounds of nature and beyond. you will after seven years know the masters, the astral life, the halls of learning , the heart must be true and you must be dedicated, but the hard work and love for the teachings is worth it. this is what they all wanted, you must be patient.

Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Musings On The Theosophist's Path   Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:01 pm

Musings On The Theosophist's Path by William Quan Judge

Know then, oh man, that he who seeks the hidden way, can only find it through the door of life. In the hearts of all, at some time, there arises the desire for knowledge. He who thinks his desire will be fulfilled, as the little bird in the nest, who only has to open his mouth to be fed, will very truly be disappointed.

In all nature we can find no instance in which effort of some kind is not required. We find there is a natural result from such effort. He who would live the life or find wisdom can only do so by continued effort. If one becomes a student, and learns to look partially within the veil, or has found within his own being something that is greater than his outer self, it gives no authority for one to sit down in idleness or fence himself in from contact with the world. Because one sees the gleam of the light ahead, he can not say to his fellow " I am holier than thou" or draw the mantle of seclusion around himself.

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:50 am

so is it safe to say i am a channeler? it's such a strain on the body. lately i have been doing a lot of work and i have lost a little bit of weight, i don't know why as my diet hasn't changed and i did not exersises at all. i think the problem with being in the occult world is that once a person goes out in the "real world" it is very hard to maintain the same life as they once have prior to thier interest in the occult. it is so much harder to follow the same interests or conversations, harder to find the same people interesting and it's hard when one desperately wants to talk about nothing but magick as other people find it strange and annoying, which in turn makes the person angry and frustrated. it's like moving unto a different world, say an old one was kindergarten and the new one is high school. having to go back and pretend one is still on the same level feels like a cruel joke. does it make sense? i feel kind of incoherent.
but the last article i really loved, especially this line: "He who thinks his desire will be fulfilled, as the little bird in the nest, who only has to open his mouth to be fed, will very truly be disappointed."
i have a lot of questions and there is so much i want to know, but i'd whither away if i suddenly find out everything there is to know, what would be the point to live then? i love that there are so many things i am yet to learn, it keeps life worth living. thank you so much for this
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:05 am

frater says you are, he says you need to hone in or conscious or sub conscious as that is what is causing such problems.

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:09 am

thank you so much i will work on that. even when i do the astral projection exersises, it still gets in the way as i begin entering a trance state and the voices come straight away, by the time i snap out of it, i would lose an hour or so of my time, have a sore jaw and feel so thirsty, like i just spent a day under the hot sun in the desert.
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:11 am

one question when you go into trance do you leave your body?

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:21 am

no, i am 99% sure i stay in my body but just become unaware of it.
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:58 am

if you are not aware then you leave your body. i am a conscious channel and i know what is being said and dome at all times, the only time i leave is if i am so tired i need a rest.

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:37 am

it's a weird feeling, i start hearing voices outside of my head and then there's this void i enter and it feels like it was for a second and when i come back it turns out it's been an hour or so and i feel so strange and out of wack
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:57 am

you leave your body and if you don't better start doing it.

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:19 am

i am working on it, the AP exersises are coming along well, but i will be honest, i am terrified of what i'll encounter in the lower realm where i know i'll most likely end up, once i stop being such a wuss i'm out of this body and here i go
Back to top Go down
Frater O M
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:53 am

I have to leave the energies would kill me.

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:59 am

i'm really sorry about that.i'll do my best to make it all better and i'm sorry me and cwc were so bad this month. i'll make sure we keep ourselves in check from now on
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:33 am

here is judge

Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:35 am

alyssalucis wrote:
i'm really sorry about that.i'll do my best to make it all better and i'm sorry me and cwc were so bad this month. i'll make sure we keep ourselves in check from now on

frater left because if he came in he would have taken the forum down, so he told me to take care of the forum. i doubt he will ever come back to EM and that is sad.

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:49 am

judge has such penetrating eyes as well. they can see deep inside ones soul, it is so very true.

and i feel so bloody terrible about what has happened at EM and all the negative stuff we have there now. i will make it my personal quest to make it better and purify the energies. i will take care of the forum and every member who wants to learn or cares about magick and will guard it with my life. the forum saved my life and it is the least i can do in return, i will never leave the forum nor will i let it get polluted by negativity ever again
Back to top Go down
Emma
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:50 am

katherine tingley who became head of the theosophical society talks about her meeting judge in one of her books. he was an irishman and she was talking to the poor at a soup kitchen she looked up and there was a man standing just looking at her. katherine tingly said he scared her with his penetrating eyes. he introduced himself and the rest is history. the society i belong to is the one that judge and latherine tingley took over after besant and leadbetter did what they did.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: William Quan Judge   

Back to top Go down

William Quan Judge
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1